SWSX festival always brings fresh technology news. Viorama, a Berlin-based VR startup, today announced the closed beta launch of Splash: a new innovative app that works in the realm of 360-degree video. All you need is a iPhone. You can watch these videos and create your own panoramic video. The app supports Google Cardboard VR headsets, giving you multiple viewing options. You can also create your own 360-degree videos, and upload them directly to Facebook, or share elsewhere as a link. Very smart idea – now its easy to produce and enables people who have no idea about the technical aspects of 360 degree video to make their own content.
You can sign up for Splash either with your Facebook account or an email address. Here’s what you can expect from the app:
- Capture a 360° panorama of videos that loop and sound
- Use touch to control the video
- UX similar to Snapchat – just shoot & publish!
- Stereoscopic mode for Google Cardboard and other tray-based headsets with intuitive feed. Preview only video is monoscopic from what we can tell it is not true stereoscopic.
- Read more about every 360° video captured by other users – see notes and location data.
- Like in 3D: You can tap double anywhere to do a like that gets mapped to the 3D space.
- See a gallery of the 360° videos you captured yourself
- Share any Splash 360° video to Facebook and let your friends experience it in the 360° – enabled player on Facebook